If you're not using The Great Poetry Race with your students or you need some help organizing it all then this is the packet for you!
This kit contains:
* The Great Poetry Race sample letter to parents
* Blank letter for you to copy with your customized letter: Simply type your customized letter, attach it to the template and copy it on a copy machine
* Great Poetry Race signature sheet
* Car templates for student to color in to use with a bulletin board. (Idea: create a race track out of bulletin board paper. Have students color in a car template and add their initials or class number. Move cars around the track for meeting a specific goal.)
* Winner's Circle poster for students to sign when they are the winner for the week or for meeting a specific goal (Laminate and use Dry Erase or Vis-a-vis markers). Alternatively, move a student's car to the Winner's Circle for having the most signatures in the week or for meeting a specific goal (ex. Reading to 20 people). (Two versions included.)
* Great Poetry Race Tracking Sheet: Use to keep track of how many signatures student's collect.
* Student Incentive Charts: Students can use these charts to track their participation and progress. (Two versions included.)
* Recommended Poetry Resources and Tips
The Great Poetry Race involves the students reading a poem to practice fluency. I give my students a poem each week and they read it to as many different people as they can. The person they read the poem to signs their form. The student with the most signatures receives a prize (I give out little plastic trophies each week). The packet explains this on the letter to the parents.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License