This adorable, fun, and Winter-themed packet includes the materials that I use to teach my students about syllables in second grade, in the first half of the year. As we know, understanding syllables is a huge strategy for being both a good reader, and writer.
(NOTE: This packet is also available in a Christmas theme, in my store. The activities are virtually identical to this packet. However, the graphics, and some words in this Winter packet, have been altered to create neutral, learning materials that can be enjoyed by all students.)
I have developed these materials to be used with your whole class, with a small group, or as centers.
1) Count the Syllables (1, 2, and 3 Syllable Picture Cards (12 count), Graphic Organizer, and Heading Cards)
2) Open and Closed Syllables (40 Syllable Cards, Header Cards, and Graphic Organizer)
3) Divide the Syllables Sorts (VC / CV, VC / CV with Digraphs, V / CV, VC / V, and 2-syllable compound words) Includes 8 word cards for each category, Heading Cards, and 4 Sorting Graphic Organizers. (Total of 40 word cards.)
4) Simplified "Centers" directions for each activity.
5) Blank template (to include words of your choice)
6) Teacher Instructions, suggestions, and tips