Every year we read “The Green Book” as part of a 3-novel genre study.
We encourage deeper reading and understanding of the text through a series of reading response activities. There are no quizzes in this unit.
Included in this resource for each chapter are:
• Thinking about the text reading response prompts. (3 responses for each chapter)
• Two more comprehension activities that vary according to individual chapter material but include:
Making text-to-self connections
Analysis of setting
Analysis of character
Comparing and contrasting actions, characters or setting
Summarizing through letter writing
• A book review sheet
• “clippable” reading response prompts printed three to a page for use in journals
• A cover page (for making a comprehension pack if desired)
• Characteristics of the science fiction genre sheet
• Discussion points for each chapter (these are points that we have discussed in our class over the years)
• Common core standards covered in this resource