A FREE selection of activities to use after reading the children's picture book The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson. These printables are appropriate for Kindergarten and some 1st grade students too.
- Blackline masks of snake, mouse, owl and fox.
- Story Wheel retelling sequencing craft.
With prompting and support, retell familiar stories, including key details.
- Sentence Bingo (with instructions)
Follow words from left to right, top to bottom, and page by page.
- Sight words on woodland images
Read common high-frequency words by sight (e.g., the, of, to, you, she, my, is, are, do, does).
- Label the Gruffalo (cut and paste)
- Identify the characters (cut and paste)
- Vocabulary Flash Cards
- Word to picture match ups
With prompting and support, identify characters, settings, and major events in a story.
- Writing Mat
Use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to compose opinion pieces in which they tell a reader the topic or the name of the book they are writing about and state an opinion or preference about the topic or book (e.g., My favorite book is...).