The Hobbit Novel Unit will instantly engage your students with thought-provoking learning activities aligned to the Common Core. Get students thinking deeply, close reading, acquiring new vocabulary, and discussing meaningful ideas as they read J.R.R. Tolkien's fascinating novel.
The Hobbit Novel Unit contains:
1. PRE-READING WEB QUEST – Students access background information on topics related to The Hobbit using five engaging web sites. A fun activity to kick off the novel study.
2. CHAPTER-BY-CHAPTER RESPONSE PAGES – Each of the Chapter Response Pages presents prompts regarding specific characters, settings, conflicts, important ideas, significant quotations, literary devices, point of view, etc. Students enjoy working on this response work in small groups or with a partner after reading each chapter. The response pages get students thinking and discussing the events of the novel using text-based details, and this work assures the teacher that students are "getting" all the important ideas.
3. HOBBIT FREE-WRITES – 19 Journal-style writing prompts on attractive slides – one for every chapter! A Free-Writes Log for student responses is also provided. Great discussion starters when shared.
4. VOCABULARY STUDY – 50 words – Grouped by chapters – Students study the definitions given and then fit the correct words into provided sentences. They also choose words to illustrate and compose sentences of their own.
5. VOCABULARY QUIZZES – 5 15-question quizzes, grouped by chapters, that match the word listings on the vocabulary pages.
6. CHAPTER QUIZZES – 19 quizzes, a 5-question multiple choice quiz for every chapter, can be projected or printed. These quizzes focus on comprehension of main ideas (good checks if reading is assigned for homework).
7. NARRATIVE WRITING ASSIGNMENT - Students write a Friendly Letter to Gandalf during our travelers' separation mid-book. Details and directions are carefully outlined on a handout with pre-writing organizer. Students have a choice in narrative point of view. Includes easy scoring sheet.
8. END-OF-NOVEL TEST – A 30-question multiple choice and matching test
9. HOBBIT ESSAY TOPICS WITH PRE-WRITING ORGANIZERS – A five-paragraph literary essay assignment that offers 3 topic choices and planning organizers to guide students through the process. A LITERARY ESSAY WRITING RUBRIC is included for assessment.
10. HOBBIT FINAL PROJECT - This differentiated project involves creating a PowerPoint presentation, poster or flipbook where a variety of text examples, visuals, and meaningful quotations are represented. 5 topic choices are offered. Includes a GRADING SHEET for easy assessment.
11. FULL ANSWER KEY and Common Core Standards – Answer Keys for Web Quest, Chapter Response Pages, Vocabulary Quizzes, Chapter Quizzes, and End-of-Novel Test
This novel unit will take you all the way through The Hobbit, keeping students on track with rigorous, standards-aligned learning activities. You will find this resource to be thorough and attractively designed for student engagement.
Please open the PREVIEW to see some pages from the unit!
Thank you! --Joy
You might like these other products to use with ANY literature:
Character Traits Essay – Informative Writing
Common Core Differentiated Short Response Slips for Literature
Literature Stations with Task Cards for ANY Novel Drama or Story - Common Core
---Click to receive My Newsletter
with Teaching Tips and FREEBIES!