** THIS RESOURCE IS PART OF THE 1st GRADE HOUGHTON MIFFLIN READING SERIES - THEME 10: WE CAN DO IT! – WEEK 3.***
Trying to figure out how to aligned your old Houghton Mifflin curriculum to the Common Core Standards? Then this is resource is PERFECT for YOU!
I created this resource out of my own need to align my ELA curriculum to the Common Core Standards. This resource is PACKED with many fun activities, graphic organizers, games, Daily Literacy activities, and blackline masters for the Thinking Maps used.
Worksheets are Common Core aligned with standards listed on the first pages of the file. Every story has an opinion writing activity at the end as well as a connection to the text (text to text, text to self, text to world). Each story also has a sequencing activity.
There are worksheets that require students to answer questions by citing the evidence from the text. I also added Depth and Complexity icons on worksheets for higher level learning.
Please download the preview for an overview of the unit and full page previews.
Week 3 Stories:
Frog Tricks Loud Rabbit
The Hat (Frog and Toad)
- Focus wall Labels
- Vocabulary Word and Picture Cards CCSS RF1.4
- Story High Frequency Word (HFW) Cards CCSS RF2.4
- Vocabulary Word Tree Map Activity CCSS RF1.4
- Comprehension Skill Graphic Organizer
- Phonics Skills Graphic Organizers CCSS RF2.3a,e
- Phonics Focus: Read, Find, and Color Activity CCSS RF2.4
- Phonics Focus: Write and Match Activity CCSS RF1.2c
- High Frequency Word Spinner CCSS RF2.4
- High Frequency Word Practice and Trace CCSS RF2.4
- High Frequency Word Guess My Word CCSS RF2.4
- Grammar and Word Skills (see each story for details)
- Making Connections: Connecting Text to Text, Text to World, and Text to Self
- Story Sequencing Activity and Thinking Map CCSS RL1.3
- Opinion Writing Activity CCSS W1.1
- Teacher “Cheat Sheets”
- Skip and Scan (Differentiated) CCSS RL1.2
- Describing Our Character Bubble Map (Differentiated) With and Without Text Dependent Page #s. CCSS RL1.7
- Words to Know Cards CCSS L1.4
- Depth and Complexity Summarizing Activity CCSS RL1.2
- Monitor and Clarify Teacher Guide CCSS RL1.1
- Monitor and Clarify Sunglasses CCSS RL1.1
- Cause and Effect CCSS RL1.1
- Compare and Contrast Two Stories CCSS RL1.9
- Character Changes CCSS RL1.7
- er, est circle map to tree map CCSS L1.1FS
- er, est bridge map CCSS L1.1F
- Comparing Adjectives CCSS L1.1F
- Suffix –ly circle map to tree map CCSS L1.4
- Somebody, Wanted, But, So, Then Activity CCSS RL1.2
- Opinion Writing: Tell me your opinion about people who brag? Use evidence from the text to support your writing. CCSS W1.1
- Opinion Writing: Do you think that Frog is a good friend? Use evidence from the text to support your writing. CCSS W1.1
I hope that this resource will make your school year so much easier the way it has for my colleagues and me.
** This resource is in no way affiliated or endorsed by The Daily 5 and/or the 2 Sisters. Activities in this unit are suggested activities that can be used as part of The Daily 5 program. Purchasing The Daily 5 book is suggested.
Need other stories in this theme?
Theme 10: Week 1 - Two Greedy Bears
Theme 10: Week 2 - Fireflies for Nathan
Need other 1st grade themes?
Theme 1: All Together Now
Theme 2: Surprise!
Theme 3: Let’s Look Around!
Theme 4: Family and Friends
Theme 5: Home Sweet Home
Theme 6: Animal Adventures
Theme 7: We Can Work It Out!
Theme 8: Our Earth
Theme 9: Special Friends
****Save BIG with BUNDLES!!!****
Bundle for Themes 1-5