The Hate U Give Discussion Assignment
- Google Drive™ folder
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This engaging The Hate U Give Whole Unit Bundle is everything you need to teach Angie Thomas's important novel! Using the resources included in this bundle, students will discuss The Hate U Give, do focused writing, and participate like never before!You'll introduce The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas tPrice $30.35Original Price $37.94Save $7.59
- Looking for an engaging social justice literature circle unit? Teach the Black Lives Matter movement, engage students in social justice issues, and encourage collaboration through lit circles with this Black Lives Matter-themed Social Justice Literature Circle Unit Bundle--online or in person! ThisPrice $95.46Original Price $120.32Save $24.86
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas is a book worth talking about! Get students discussing cycles of hate, the importance of education, the definition of family, and other deep questions with this discussion activity--
Students examine five thematic topics through this discussion: hate, family, identity, speaking out and silence, and education. Students will need to gather textual evidence to support their ideas on these thematic topics prior to the discussion activity.
For in-person instruction, have students gather quotes to refer to during this discussion activity. I have my students annotate their physical novels, collecting textual evidence for their final discussion throughout the unit.
For virtual instruction, students can use the included Textual Evidence Tracker Google Doc to keep track of relevant quotes.
The discussion itself can be held as a conversation cafe when in person (I like to bring in snacks and tablecloths to make it feel really special!). You can even set up the included place cards ahead of time to "set the table" and make students feel special.
For distance learning, discussions can happen in digital break-out rooms.
This assignment can be used as a formative or summative assessment, depending on your class's needs. I use this as a unit final project, but this assignment could easily be adapted into a smaller, one or two-day activity. This can even be an activity that leads to writing a full thematic essay.
- EDITABLE Assignment Handout
- EDITABLE Discussion Rubric
- PDF Version
- Google Doc version
- Google Sheets version (for easy importing into Google Classroom)
- Directions PDF for importing a Google Sheets rubric into Google Classroom
- EDITABLE Textual Evidence Tracker Google Doc for distance learning
- At-a-Glance Worksheet for in-person learning
- Student place cards, directions for setting up place cards, and facilitator instructions
- Product/Resource Overview
Please note that only the resources marked editable can be modified.
Get the BUNDLE or check out:
- The Hate U Give Reading Journal and Workbook
- The Hate U Give Introductory Slideshow
- The Hate U Give Reading Comprehension Worksheets
- The Hate U Give Quizzes
- The Hate U Give Quote Poster
- The Hate U Give Film Worksheet
Need a more social justice-based assessment? Check out my Social Justice Leaflet Mini-Research Project.
***This resource consists of PDF files, Google Docs, and Google Sheets documents within a Google Drive folder. You will need to give TPT access to your Google account to access these materials. Please note that not every component of this resource is editable. Before purchasing, please review the preview to make sure this resource supports your and your students' needs.