The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas Reading Journal and Workbook
- Google Drive™ folder
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This engaging The Hate U Give Whole Unit Bundle is everything you need to teach Angie Thomas's important novel! Using the resources included in this bundle, students will discuss The Hate U Give, do focused writing, and participate like never before!You'll introduce The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas tPrice $30.35Original Price $37.94Save $7.59
- Looking for an engaging social justice literature circle unit? Teach the Black Lives Matter movement, engage students in social justice issues, and encourage collaboration through lit circles with this Black Lives Matter-themed Social Justice Literature Circle Unit Bundle--online or in person! ThisPrice $95.46Original Price $120.32Save $24.86
Engage students in The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas online OR in-person with this reading journal and workbook! This reading journal is practically an entire unit by itself!
This 40-page resource is based on 5 C-E-R (claim, evidence, reasoning) writing prompts. The journal has rubrics built in, but also comes with rubric-free pages in case you have a different grading style. Other activities include mini-lessons on character foils, pages for notes (best when used with my The Hate U Give Introduction Slideshow), and reflective journal prompts.
This resource even includes enrichment activities such as The Hate U Give-themed coloring pages, a word search, and a crossword. I let my students work on these while we listen to the audiobook or save them as enrichment activities for students who are ahead on their work.
The workbook itself can be copied into a booklet (as pictured), but can also be left full size to be placed in a binder or to be given out as individual worksheets. The reading journal is designed in black and white for easy printing.
The whole reading journal can even be assigned virtually by using the including Google Slides version instead. If you'd rather assign the writing prompts separately, there are Google Doc version and a Google Sheets rubric for that too!
Regardless of your current teaching model--in-person, fully remote, or hybrid--this journal will work for your class!
- 40-page PRINTABLE reading journal and workbook
- 5 C-E-R (claim, evidence, and reasoning) based writing prompt questions
- 5 alternative pages without the rubric
- 3 pages for note-taking on background information
- Note: I highly recommend using these 3 pages with my The Hate U Give Introduction Slideshow, but you could give these notes as a lecture or set up a web quest for students instead.
- The Hate U Give inspired activities
- Character family tree
- Design a book cover
- Character foil analysis
- Theme Analysis
- Crossword puzzle
- 3 coloring pages
- Journal response
- Word search
- Design a sneaker activity
- Symbol analysis
- Design a character's cell phone
- Book review writing
- 40 Slide interactive Google Slides version of the same activities
- Google Doc version of the writing prompts
- Google Sheets rubric for easy grading and rubric importing
- Copying/teaching suggestions
- Answer keys for included activities
This journal and workbook is available as part of my money-saving The Hate U Give Unit Bundle. If you're looking for individual The Hate U Give resources, check out:
- The Hate U Give Introduction Slideshow
- The Hate U Give Reading Comprehension Worksheets
- The Hate U Give Quizzes
- The Hate U Give Discussion Assignment
- The Hate U Give Film Worksheet
- The Hate U Give Quote Poster
If you need alternate resources--a shorter novel, less swearing, lower Lexile, etc.--but would still like to have courageous conversations in your classroom, check out my Dear Martin Unit Bundle.
If you'd like more resources for teaching claim, evidence, and reasoning (the basis for the included rubrics), check out my C-E-R Writing Bundle.
***This resource includes PDFs and several Google documents within a Google Drive folder. You will need to grant TPT access to your Google account in order to access this purchase. Before purchasing, please review the preview to make sure this resource supports your and your students' needs. Note that the Google versions contain the same content as the printable but may be formatted differently.