Good decision-making can be taught; negative history need not repeat itself!
There are decision-making principles available that can help anyone make better decisions.
is one of the five hazardous attitudes that have been identified and labeled in aeronautical decision-making (ADM) studies. These studies have shown that learning to recognize hazardous attitudes and apply “antidote thoughts”
helps pilots (and anyone else) make better decisions.
"The five hazardous attitudes” that interfere with your ability to make sound decisions and exercise authority properly were identified by researchers in the 1980s. But clearly, these attitudes existed long before they were studied by scientists. This brief PDF slideshow gives one example.
This presentation is based upon part of a larger slideshow, Five Hazardous Attitudes in History.
An attitude of “invulnerability” (“It won’t happen to me!”) may have caused the captain and crew of the R.M.S. Titanic
to ignore warnings of ice encountered by other ships in April of 1912 and to keep Titanic’s
speed up until it finally collided with an iceberg.
At the very least an “invulnerable” attitude seems to have influenced the White Star Line to outfit Titanic with a number of lifeboats that — although legal —was vastly inadequate given the number of passengers the ship was designed to carry.
They needed to slow down and call to mind the "antidote" attitude—it can
happen to me— and respond accordingly.
Best wishes for a great minilesson,
BGI (Basic Ground Instructor) and Instrument-Rated Private Pilot
Some Paid Products You Might Like:
• Internet Aviation Scavenger Hunt — Pilots and Legends
• True Pilot Scenarios— Six Decision-Making Scenarios for Pilots
• Airplane Flight! Just for Fun
• Aeronautical Charts for Everyone
• U.S. Airmail: First Pilots, Early Flights Before the Airlines
• Tuskegee Airmen: Four Advocates
• Amelia Earhart : Her History
• Student Aviation Bundle, Grades 7 – 10
• Eastern Airlines Flight 401—Airliner Crash, Aviation Ghost Mystery
• Aviation Photos-with-Quotes Posters—Airplanes, Dreams, Flight, Space, Pilots…
• Wind Triangle Geometry—Earth, Wind and Airplanes, How Pilots Adjust for Wind
• Pilot Risk Management Instruction Bundle
• Aviation History Bundle—Tuskegee Airmen, Early U.S. Airmail Pilots, History Sleuth and a bonus