An eleven page comic book to introduce the history of the Hindenburg. It outlines the development and first year of this gigantic airship before describing what happened on the fateful day. Contains a quiz and other useful resources, and can be printed out in black and white, used as a slide show on a computer, or as a PDF e.book on a tablet.
The Common Core states, 'There is a need in literature and social studies classes to evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats including visually and aurally.' I believe that comics and graphic novels can fulfill this standard and I hope you find this product an engaging way of teaching your students.
1. An eleven page PDF color version of the comic with a 12 question quiz for understanding at the end. This can be printed out or displayed as a slideshow on a computer or used as an e.book on a tablet.
2. The same eleven page PDF comic in black and white for easy printing.
3. A student print that has a section for dictionary work and an exercise for practicing some of the more difficult words in the comic.
4. A student answer print for the comic quiz and dictionary tasks.
5. Two writing prompts to extend the lesson. The first of these involves making a theory and providing evidence on the reason(s) for the Hindenburg crash. The second is a creative exercise to write a news report from an eyewitness. This can be extended into making a live radio broadcast of the event.
5. A teacher's notes print that provides directions on using the comic and useful links to sites about the Hindenburg.
All prints are in PDF format.
There are other short comics in the 'Pocket History' series which you can find by clicking on the links below.
Life in the Trenches
The Hindenburg - Comic Book
by Paul Carr (kibishipaul)
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License