The Historical Dinner Party, a project for 5-7 grade students, is an intense, research oriented activity which offers older students a chance to 'live in history' by becoming important people of history. This project can be used as an end-of-year celebration, a holiday celebration, or a PTA/Parent Open House presentation.
This particular packet includes:
1. A complete Lesson Plan which details all the necessary information needed to create a dinner party.
2. Two invitations to the event, one to the students themselves, and one for guests, other classrooms, and administrators.
3. A Time Period Chart which allows students to choose their historical period, and sign in to that period.
4. 32 questions the students can use as guides for the research into their 'character's' life.
5. Two evaluation sheets, one for the participants (your students), and one for guests such as parents, other grades attending, and other invitees.
6. Photo of a previous dinner party.
The reason this project is so successful is because of the diligent research the children enter into, but also the 'actions' that take place around the table, with costumes and music and food to make it all authentic.
I believe it is one of the best culminating 'happenings' that you can offer your students to round out a year, or celebrate your social studies/history curriculum.
Good luck and enjoy!
Look Both Ways