In this lecture students will be challenged to:
1. comprehend the origin and formation of the Earth, atmosphere, and oceans according to the nebular theory.
2. grasp the principle of uniformitarianism.
3. learn the clues needed to read rock layers.
4. understand the various methods by which rocks may be dated.
5. realize the true nature of fossils and how they form.
6. comprehend and appreciate the geologic timetable.
7. learn and understand the various layers that make up the Earth and the characteristics that distinguish each layer.