This is a great PowerPoint Presentation for the beginning of the year in a foreign language program. It is not language specific, so it will work form French, Spanish, German, etc. teachers! It takes about 15 minutes to complete the entire PowerPoint. The PowerPoint is editable, but keep in mind, it may be difficult to edit because of the format of some slides. The following is an outline of the PowerPoint slides:
1. TED Ed Video "How Language Evolve"
I edited the first part of the video out (talking about the Tower of Babylon) so I wouldn't have any religion conflict in the classroom
2. I show the 10 major language families, followed by a further explanation of the Indo-European Family (where English and Romance Languages fall from)
3. I further examine the subdivisions of the Indo-European Family. I take a further look at the Balto-Slavic, Germanic, and Italic subdivisions. I focus on these three because they most relate to my students and my curriculum.
4. TRIVIA: What percentage of the world speaks English as its first language?
5. TRIVIA: What portion of the world speaks no English at all?
6. TRIVIA: What percentage of the world's population is multilingual?
7. Why learn another language? I review the benefits of learning another language - earning more money, more job opportunities, high cognitive abilities, travel opportunities, and many more!
8. Who else is multilingual? I review popular celebrities that are multilingual - Johnny Depp to Mila Kunis.