- Ideal for independent and distance learning in these challenging times! This is the “Innovations and Inventions” collection! This bundle contains the TEN individual products listed and linked below and is priced at a 40% discount compared to purchasing these individual resources separately in my sto$25.00$14.00Save $11.00
- Product Description
A toothbrush is something we see and touch every day, would never travel without, and teach children to use as we promote better dental health and hygiene. Yet the majority of teachers and students know little or nothing about the origin and history of the toothbrush. This reading passage clears that in an interesting way, tracking the 5,000 year history of the toothbrush from ancient Egyptian “chew sticks” to Chinese and European animal hair toothbrushes and then on to the modern nylon bristle and cordless electric toothbrushes of today.
This Common Core-aligned text is teacher and student-friendly and written for use in Grades 5-8. It can be implemented in a number of ways by teachers (close reading, direct instruction in class, independent practice, absence work, homework, test prep, assessment, centers, etc). Please see the Preview for the first part of the text and all the assessment questions.
The product includes:
1) An engaging and student-friendly 850-word informational passage called “The Origin and History of the Toothbrush.”
2) A total of 27 questions, from basic vocabulary and comprehension to deeper thinking, written to align with Common Core Standards RI.4.1, RI.4.5, RI.5.4, and RI.6.3
3) A bonus crossword puzzle for early finishers or to use as another form of assessment
4) Answers to every question.
Are you interested in more of this type of reading and assessment work for your middle grade students? Then have look at my other innovations and inventions resources! Each provides the origin and history of an important everyday object or food in an engaging and educational passage with follow-on close reading assessment work!
Need to take a mental health day(s) from your classroom? Sick or caring for someone who is ill? Emergency absence have you in a panic? Just need something different and fresh in place of the normal curriculum? Take a look at my collection of "print and go/no prep" emergency sub plans and creative resources for Grade 5-9 teachers!
This item is a digital download from my TpT store. This item is also bound by copyright laws and redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the Internet are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Any claims of correlation or alignment to the Common Core State Standards are solely those of Mark Aaron and have not been evaluated or endorsed by the NGA. Mark Aaron is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS.