Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
0.64 MB | N/A pages
This product is a complete unit with all materials needed to teach common core standards through The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. This unit is optimized for an 8th grade class but can be scaffolded for lower grades or scaled up for higher grades.
With this file you will receive:
-Unit Plans - My personal unit plans, designed with the Understanding By Design template, are included as a rough guide for scheduling activities and reading. These plans are completely customizable and can be edited to fit your school's lesson plan format.
- Portfolio Project - This project is created in lieu of a test. Students have the option of choosing which assignments to complete over the course of the book. Rubrics are included or linked for each project. There are a total of 15 possible projects.
- 15 Rubrics - A rubric is included or linked (from read.write.think.org) for each project in the Portfolio Project.
-Anticipation Guide - A two page anticipation guide designed to provide insight into the themes of the text and promote critical thinking and discussion of themes present in The Hobbit.
-Portfolio Reflection Sheets - Three portfolio work day reflection sheets are included. These are easily editable if you choose to have more in class work days. Students set a goal and track their work and progress toward that goal.
- Poetry in the Hobbit - An article is linked about the purpose of poetry and song in The Hobbit with included created assignment sheet.
- The Shoddy Lands - This short story by Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis, is linked with a created assignment and analysis sheet.
- Double Entry Notes - instructions to create notes over the text
(Note: Literature Circle assignment sheets can be found through read.write.think.org or through TPT seller Earlyene Pendergrass)
All assignments are editable. If there is a problem with any product, please do not hesitate to email me. This is my first completed unit for TPT. I hope to only get better from here! Your feedback is valued.