This assignment is meant to be fun and basic writing practice. The educational benefits are
* Students practice just getting ideas out there quickly.
* Students summarize their ideas quickly.
* Students can collaborate and essentially "ghost write" someone else's idea.
The not so educational benefits are
* It's a lot of fun
* It occupies students doing something educational for at least an hour and a half.
* Students excited about winter holidays will be excited to participate in this activity.
* It is great to leave with a substitute because it's mostly student directed work time.
* It is a low pressure assignment that will help students become more relaxed with creative writing tasks.