This literacy module, anchored by a 600 word outline of The Holocaust, consists of a number of activities designed to improve reading comprehension, spelling, and vocabulary, in addition to research and writing skills. It provides a useful introduction to texts set during this time, e.g. The Book Thief, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Once; and films Life is Beautiful, Schindler's List, Sophie's Choice etc...
The pack consists of:
1. The Holocaust - a factual reading text. 600 words detailing Hitler's campaign against Jews.
2. Multiple Choice Quiz based on the text (12 questions). This is the simplest task and is designed for the weakest students.
3. Questions based on the text. These are low order questions. Their function is to ensure understanding of the text.
4. Vocabulary tasks. Match words to descriptions. Then use the words to fill in the blanks in sample sentences.
5. Writing activities. These challenge students to consider different scenarios, and write a diary entry, a letter, a postcard, a newspaper report, and a short dialogue. A research/presentation task, and review/report activity are also included. These challenging activities are writing tasks, and they expect students to demonstrate high order skills and a good understanding of The Holocaust.
There are 7 pages of activities. I'm selling this as a Word document, so that it can be edited. There are a number of images in the text which you might choose to delete if you think your students would find them too upsetting.
I developed this item to use as an introduction to Holocaust literature. Another activity that I use with a similar purpose is my Holocaust Crossword Puzzle