Wordplay! The Game Show is a PowerPoint game show based vocabulary-building word games. This Hunger Games Edition is a perfect activity for reviewing vocabulary from the book while you study the novel as a class.
In my Ten-Minute Grammar daily language units, I include a series of word games that I tag onto the end of every day's grammar bell-ringer. My students love the Wordplay activities so much that I thought it would be fun to turn them into a game show for special occasions. And as far as I'm concerned, reading a book as awesome as The Hunger Games is a special occasion!
The game show includes ten different word games:
* "Eight Ball" - Students create as many words as they can using eight random letters (at least one eight-letter word is always possible)
* "Four-Letter Words" - Students start with a four-letter word and then change one letter at a time to create a series of words that are only one letter different from one another
* "Catalog Creator" - Students are given a prefix, suffix, or root and must list as many words as they can that contain it
* "Fixer-Rooter" - Starting with a high-level multisyllabic word, students have to list words that have the same prefix, suffix, or root
* "Rhyme Thyme" - Students start with an assigned word and list as many rhyming words as they can
* "Anagram" - Students must reorganize the letters in several nonsense words to make words that actually make sense (and match the hint)
* "Descrambler" - Students must descramble five words--one with four letters, one with five, one with six, one with seven, and one with eight
* "Synonymous" - Students list as many synonyms and antonyms as they can for a given word
* "Say What?" - Students must decode a quote from The Hunger Games
* "Alternate Endings" - Students add different suffixes to come up with as many alterations of a word as they can
This product download will come as a 52-slide PowerPoint complete with fun animations, music, and sound effects. A separate PDF file with game instructions is also included.
If you are studying The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, or Mockingjay with your students, be sure to check out my related products:
The Hunger Games - PREZI Pre-Reading Introduction
The Hunger Games - Tribute Simulation Game
The Hunger Games - Theme and Symbolism Analysis Essay
*FREE* The IDEAL Hunger Games Movie
*FREE* Creating a Dystopia - PREZI Lesson Plan
And if you enjoy these Wordplay! games, check out these related products:
Wordplay! The Game Show - Standard Edition
Daily Wordplay! Full Year of Language Games
I hope your students have a blast with this!
Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!
Enjoy, and don't forget to WRITE A REVIEW!
Created by Arik Durfee