"The Impossible Knife of Memory" by Laurie Anderson: A Study Guide provides a comprehensive study guide including:
1. Teacher's introduction;
2. Annotated list of characters;
3. Guiding questions and some commentary for each chapter (56 in all). The questions encourage readers to a deeper understanding of the background, themes, and characters of the text. No answers are provided, nor are they needed. Students must (and will) find their own answers - trust them. The questions are designed to stimulate thought, discussion and interpretation, not to test, and can be used for self-study, homework, group discussion in class, jigsaw groups, formal presentations, written answers, etc.;
4 Ideas for groupings for classroom discussion, feedback, and presentation;
5. Two graphic organizers (plot structure and character) for student annotation;
6. Material and ideas for research and discussion on attempts to ban this novel;
7. Vocabulary activities and tests (with answers).