Mention elephants and the class is suddenly excited to learn! Combine their love of animals and interest in current events with this engaging and impactful 5-E based lesson about the problem of illegal poaching in Africa today. Students will leave with a desire to make a positive change in this world.
1. Engage: A fun warm-up activity has students creating instragram pics and tweets about Africa
2. Explore: Challenge students to guess the vocabulary words with a game of 4 pics, 1 word
3. Explain: An interesting fact sheet and video clips with graphic organizers help to explain the issue
4. Elaborate: Students read a Junior Scholastic news article and answer questions
5. Evaluate: A quick quiz is included as well as directions and a rubric for a fun group activity where students create propaganda pieces to spread awareness about the plight of the elephants
Vocabulary covered: Black market, Sub-Saharan, Conservation, Ivory, Poaching, Propaganda, Seizures, Pulverization, Culture, Extinction, Bans, United Nations, Globalization
The Lesson Includes: A PowerPoint presentations, 2 student handouts, 2 graphic organizers, 1 project rubric, 1 article, 2 answer keys, 2 videos, and a Teacher Quick Reference Guide.
Hope you and your students enjoy! Please check my TpT store for more great lessons I am adding all the time. Thanks!