One of the best books that provide a first-hand account of immigration at Staten Island is The King of Mulberry Street by Donna Jo Napoli. It details the story of a boy named Dom, who travels across the Atlantic into the United States. The book describes how an immigrant would go about assimilating into American culture.
In this companion packet for your students, you'll find:
• Immigration key vocabulary
• A schedule of what pages the students should read
• 2 short response questions to be completed for all 6 sections (12 total questions)
• Section for students to complete notes about things like push factors, pull factors, conditions of settlement, etc.
• 3 group discussion pages for students to gather in groups and answer discussion questions
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me at rileywalz (at) me (dot) com.