This file includes activities and mentor sentences for the short story "The Lady or the Tiger" by Frank Stockton. These activities will provide an anticipatory set, assess comprehension, lead into two possible writing activities, and study grammar in context.
Included in this short story packet for "The Lady or the Tiger":
→ A complete lesson plan to walk the teacher through the process.
→ The anticipatory questions along with an article to help students connect the story to their lives.
→ A reading quiz - five questions. The quiz has 5 multiple questions (each one has three possible answers) focusing on comprehension.
→ A mentor sentence activity. This covers ten sentences from the story for students to identify as simple, compound, complex, or compound-complex sentences. The activity is scaffolded: students will identify phrases, then subordinating conjunctions/ relative pronouns, and then the type of sentence.
→ Ten vocabulary wordsin context and a vocabulary quiz.
→ A list of literary devices and their examples from the story.
Answer keys are included for all activities. With the exception of the graphic organizer, all pages are in editable and non-editable format.
Suggestions for teaching "The Lady or the Tiger" are outlined in a 2-page lesson plan. This takes me a full two days to teach.
• Poison by Roald Dahl: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Colomber by Dino Buzzati Quiz, Activities, Mentor Sentences
• The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs: Mentor Sentences, Quiz, and Writing Activities
• The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant Questions, Mentor Sentences, and Activities
• The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, and Activities
• There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury: Pre-Reading, Quiz, Mentor Sentence
• Wine on the Desert by Max Brand: Vocabulary, Writing, Graphic Organizer
• Marigolds by Eugenia W. Collier: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Writing