Also included in
- With this set of resources, you will have a full year's worth of materials for teaching the American literature from America's beginnings to today. If you are new to an American Literature course/junior English, or if you are veteran teacher looking to make some changes, address differentiation, or$125.10$139.00Save $13.90
This low prep unit for Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" is the perfect standards-based resource just in time for Halloween. Your middle and high school students explore the legend through a careful process of close reading and thought-provoking activities while taking note of the author's expert narrative techniques.
Student Experience: Students will read the short story and follow along with a set of questions. The reading will conclude with an interactive plot chart review activity. Next, students will analyze an informational text article and make connections. After a quick study of characterization, students will design a character collage and finish the unit with a constructed response.
- Formal Lesson Plan
- Super Simple Sub Plan Sheet
- Links to varied levels of the text
- Background Info, PDF and ready-made-for-digital version for Google
- Interactive Plot Review
- Text-based questions for after reading with answers, PDF and ready-made-for-digital version for Google
- A paired informational text article with questions and answers, PDF and ready-made-for-digital version for Google
- Graphic Organizer for During Reading, PDF and ready-made-for-digital version for Google
- Character College Hands-On Project with Student Examples
- Constructed Response Prompt, PDF and ready-made-for-digital version for Google
- 1 PDF
When you finish this unit, you and your students will love playing my "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" Breakout Game! "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" Breakout Box
Classroom success stories from teachers who have tried this resource:
♥ "Love this story and the addition of a short informational text with it. Thank you for a great product."
♥ "This legend a high interest topic at Halloween. It is a great way to stay rigorous as well. :)"
♥ "Students especially enjoyed the character collage. Thank you."
♥ "THIS LESSON IS WONDERFUL! I am using it this week to get us into the Halloween spirit."
More “spooktacular" Halloween resources are just a click away!
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches. Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME. Voila! You will now receive email updates about my store.
For more ideas and inspiration:
Original Cover Photo by Julie Faulkner
Resource Updated 2020