This detailed, advanced handout and worksheet is designed to help teachers teach, and students in their study of the short story "The Lemon Orchard by Alex La Guma. The short story also appears on the English Literature Syllabus for IGCSE Examinations in 2019, 2020, and 2021!
The handout includes:
- Short biography of the author, including historical context (Alex La Guma)
- Original short story text with glossary of difficult or challenging terms, line numbers for easy annotation and analysis.
- Context and Explanatory Notes, paramount to understanding and appreciating this iconic short story.
- Comprehension & Analysis Questions for the entire short story, with a particular focus on analysing language, effects and the author’s intentions.
- Passage-based activity to provide further practice of close reading skills as well as La Guma’s use of language and its effects.
- Essay-questions and exam-style questions to facilitate practice and preparation for the exam.
- MODEL ANSWERS and detailed analysis of the story in responses to the COMPREHENSION, ANALYSIS & PASSAGE-BASED CLOSE READING Questions
- Study Guide (intended for use either by teacher or students for revision, with further detailed commentary about characters, themes, and the story’s context and overall purpose.
- Sample MODEL ANSWER and ESSAY response to the essay-style questions and exam-style questions (6).
Enjoy, and please leave feedback!