Great book for combining social studies with reading and language arts!
From this fifth-grade Level T reader, students will learn about the explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark who traveled through the western U.S. all the way to the Pacific Ocean to map the new lands of the Louisiana Purchase.
Specific concepts, skills, and vocabulary targeted in this reader are listed on the first page of the story. And there are two accompanying worksheets included to help reinforce literacy skills involving reading, language, and writing.
The book is one in my original series of leveled books written to incorporate the Fountas and Pinnell leveled vocabulary, Rebecca Sitton spelling words, and general core curriculum standards for grades K-6 in the United States.
This reader "The Lewis and Clark Expedition" is included in a collection of other Level T readers - Level T - Set 1. That set includes 10 books:
- What are the Chances?;
- The Colonial Period;
- The Lewis and Clark Expedition;
- Delta, Canyon, Sand Dunes – Impact of Weathering and Erosion;
- I Pledge Allegiance;
- Lady Liberty Welcomes All;
- A Series of Firsts – The 2008 Presidential Elections;
- Cesar Chavez – “Si Se Puede” (“Yes, it can be done”);
- Name Your Sources;
- 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue – Washington, D.C. – The White House.