NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence it is used in from the book.
Examples of clues:
* How could this fantastic and INFERIOR figure in a long fawn-colored garment like a woman’s be possibly anything to him....? (ant.) ANSWER: superior
* He let no man on the march BANDY words with his neighbor. (syn.) ANSWER: exchange
* They were the captives’ future masters, who could claim them and drag them off to a life of SUBJECTION in their own lodges. (ant.) ANSWER: freedom
* He saw a stout man in the boat fall back as if too GROSS a mark to be missed. (ant.) ANSWER: small
* He asked no questions that required answer, made no provocative statements and BROOKED no interruption. (syn.) ANSWER: allowed
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on my THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST edition of Bookmarks Plus. See list below.
Also, these 25 words are contained in my THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST Prereading Crossword, which includes 50 challenging words students will run across in the book. See list below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my fun and unique products over THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST. View all 13 in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST edition--Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more!
• THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 257 questions!
• THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST: Prereading Crossword—50 Words to Familiar Students with Vocabulary Before Reading the Book! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the The Light in the Forest edition of Bookmarks Plus and the The Light in the Forest Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST: 4 Novel-Based Word Searches—4 Different Categories! Categories: The Original People; A Massacre; In Search of Corn Blade; The Journey Back!
• THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST: 7 Cryptogram Puzzles—Encoded Quotations from the Book! Students decode thought-provoking quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST: 8 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST: Reading-for-Detail Crosswords! Great reviews for objective tests!
• THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST: 8 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode 10 lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Minor Characters—White; Minor Characters—Indian; Locations; The Forest; Del Hardy; The Village; True Son; A Peculiar Race
• THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST: 2 Challenging Words Crosswords—Good Vocab Review! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST: Anagram Crossword—Challenging & Fun! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST: 16 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!