This product includes several versions of the sign show in the picture. Below, I have given an explanation for how I manage pencils in my classroom. It has been super effective in keeping track of and conserving pencils! Seriously, we've gone an entire semester with only 7 pencils. Feel free to ask any question you may have!
If you're on Instagram, follow @lonestarclassroom to see the posts related to the system and how it works in my room. If you try it out, post with the hashtag #saveallthepencils!
- At the beginning of the year, students keep the pencils that they bring. None of them are put into a community stash. They are responsible for keeping them in their locker, cubby, backpack, etc.
- Part of our morning procedures are to sharpen their personal pencils with the fancy sharpener. This is the only time of day that the sharpener can be used, so they usually sharpen 1-3.
- If their personal stash does not get them through the day, they may borrow a loaner from my board.
- I use magnetic clips to hold 6 pencils to the whiteboard. The ones that are in the picture are perfect because the pencils slip right into them.
- I also put washi tape on the eraser end of the pencil to identify it as mine.
- To take a loaner, students have to write their name underneath the clip that holds the pencil on the board. Then, they can take the pencil.
- Before they leave class to switch or pack up, the board is checked and all pencils are returned.
- If someone's name is still on the board, no one leaves the room.