PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
**Now with newly added material!**
Socratic Seminars (or "Fish Bowl" Conversations as I like to call them with my students) are fantastic, higher order ways of assessing whether your students are able to understand and react to your class text. These seminars rely on the power of inquiry and allow students to take the lead in their learning and discussion. The only problem? They require a great deal of preparation. Fortunately, I have done the work for you!
This packet includes everything you need to conduct a structured and formal set of Socratic Seminars in your classroom surrounding the chilling short story, "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson - NO PREPARATION NEEDED!
• Engaging Introductory Activity for conversation building - NEWLY ADDED!
• Assignment Directions with step-by-step instructions on how to conduct fishbowls in your classroom
• 5 Discussion Questions for each “Fish Bowl”
• “Fish Bowl” Preparation Sheet
• Conversation Builder Prompts
• Observation Sheet
You can also purchase this resource at a discount as part of a comprehensive literature guide for "The Lottery" here:
Also, check out these great resources to complement your unit on The Lottery by Language Arts Excellence: