Strike up the band and hold on to your balloons! It is Thanksgiving time and that means the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! Make the most of this special holiday by immersing your students in active learning, favorite picture books, design challenges, and technology activities... all centered around one of our favorite holidays!
Set the stage for the parade by taking a look at how Thanksgiving became an official holiday. We usually focus on the Pilgrims and Native Americans at this time of the year, but in this unit we target the work of a dynamic lady, Sarah Hale. She worked tirelessly to convince our leaders to make Thanksgiving a national holiday.
This unit is divided into two parts:
- Thanksgiving Becomes a National Holiday
- The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade & New York City
Lessons Included in the Unit:
- Lesson One: Unit Kick Off
- Lesson Two: Thank You, Sarah & I Wonder Questions
- Lesson Three: Thank You, Sarah & Sequencing
- Lesson Four: Thank You, Sarah & Writing for Real Purposes
- Lesson Five: Thanksgiving Traditions & Pumpkin Pie Making!
- Lesson Six: Thanksgiving Choice Board Using Wonderopolis
- Lesson Seven: The Big Apple Virtual Field Trip
- Lesson Eight: Sticky Note Reading & New York City Texts
- Lesson Nine: Balloons Over Broadway & Vocabulary Game
- Design Challenge #1: Be a Balloonatic!
- Lesson Ten: Macy's Design Team & the Design Process
- Design Challenge #2: Get Your Float On!
- Lesson Eleven: Macy's Parade Digital Scavenger Hunt
- Lesson Twelve: Practicing Thankfulness
- Simple directions and tips for each lesson and design challenge.
- Reading strategies explained for each literacy lesson.
- Templates, Recording Sheets, & Student Response Pages Provided for Each Lesson
- Technology tips and directions included for activities.
- QR Code Posters and Linked Text for easy navigation.
- Table of Contents
- List of Favorite Thanksgiving picture books
Key Texts & Websites Used in the Lessons/Activities:
•Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving by Laurie Halse Anderson
•Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet
•A Walk in New York by Rubbino Salvatore
•The Thankful Book by Todd Parr