NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book. Also, because the answers to most of the clues consist of one word, I recommend that students use a thesaurus rather than a dictionary to solve the puzzle.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from THE MAGICIAN’S NEPHEW. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence in which it appears in the book. Students must decide provide either a synonym or an antonym for the challenging word.
Examples of clues:
* Ours, my boy, is a high and lonely DESTINY.” (ant.) ANSWER: past
* Their adventures began CHIEFLY because it was one of the wettest and coldest summers there had been for years. (syn.) ANSWER: mainly
* “I had already cast strong spells on the hall where the images of my ANCESTORS sit. “ (One’s ___ from long ago; syn.) ANSWER: family
* …as for sweets, I won’t tell you how cheap and good they were, because it would only make your mouth water IN VAIN. (Without ___; syn.) ANSWER: result
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW edition of Bookmarks Plus. Please see the list of products below.
Also, the same 25 words are part of my THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW 50-word Prereading Crossword, which familiarizes students with new words before they read the book. Please see the list of products below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my fun and challenging products over THE MAGICIAN’S NEPHEW—perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them in my store.
* Bookmarks Plus©: THE MAGICIAN’S NEPHEW—A Handy Little Reading Aid!
Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* THE MAGICIAN’S NEPHEW: 50-word Prereading Crossword—Great for extra credit!
Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the The Magician’s Nephew edition of Bookmarks Plus and the The Magician’s Nephew Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
* THE MAGICIAN’S NEPHEW: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus!
Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique puzzle!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!