The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allan Poe is a classic short story.
You can do as many or as few of the worksheets as you want. Some can be assigned as homework. I do suggest that you not skip the vocabulary work. Poe’s use of words that our students do not use can make his simple stories a bit more challenging to understand than other stories. The unit may take two or three class periods depending on what you choose to do. There are eight activities but you can do as many or as few of the worksheets as you want. Some can be assigned as homework.
If you do the entire unit, your students will
• Complete pre-reading vocabulary and take quiz over words. KEY included
• Read a short paragraph of background information and write a journal topic or thought question
• Read the story
• Answer close reading questions. KEY included
• Complete thought questions. KEY included
• Complete a graphic Symbolism, Personification, and Theme in the story. KEY included
• Write two paragraphs on higher order thinking questions concerning synthesizing and evaluating
• Take an Objective Quiz. KEY included