TEACH ACADEMIC AND CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS USING FILM
A 119 page COMPLETE unit on the film! It is the perfect film to use in an English, History, Philosophy, Religious Studies, and Film course. This unit has the similar set up as all units in the Academic Lessons store. NO "FLUFF": This unit focuses on LITERARY DEVICES, SKILLS APPLICATION, and FILM ANALYSIS. Unit includes viewing guide questions and quizzes, vocabulary, literary analysis activities, and AP style tests and essays. Includes a sample essay. Stills from film are on handouts.
* 22 READING/ANALYSIS SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS (based on Bloom's cognitive levels)
* 67 VIEWING QUESTIONS
* 37 VIEWING/READING/LITERARY ANALYSIS MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS
* 10 FOCUSED ACTIVITIES (Individual or group work)
* 4 READER RESPONSE ESSAY QUESTIONS
* 2 FIVE-PARAGRAPH ESSAY PROMPTS
* 1 AP STYLE PROMPT
* 13 VOCABULARY WORDS DEFINED/HANDOUTS/QUIZ
* 2 AP STYLE PASSAGE TESTS (analysis/application of skills)
* EXAMPLE LITERARY ANALYSIS ON FILM
Editable Microsoft Word document files are included. Edit the materials to suit your needs. The Word files are version 2003 .docx files. Includes PDF files of all the materials as well.
DETAILED ANSWER KEYS: All questions, including short answer and essay analysis have detailed answer keys
STUDENT SAMPLE ESSAY ANALYSIS: could be used as a model essay to help students revise their own essays
HANDOUTS: designed to accommodate group work, independent study, and class discussions
OBJECTIVES: variety of prewritten objectives to choose from in order to cover all teaching styles and methods
ACTIVITY GUIDE QUESTIONS: includes these categories: Comprehension, Application, Analysis/Synthesis, Universal Theme, Reader-Response and Across the Curriculum/Subject Connection (based on Bloom’s cognitive levels) The Reader-Response questions could be used for timed and journal writing.
FOCUSED ACTIVITIES: can be used with the Activity Guide questions or as separate assignments. These focused activities are an extension of the questions used in the Activity Guide handouts for skills reinforcement.
VOCABULARY: designed so the students must pay close attention while reading in order to identify the words from the work. The Vocabulary quizzes are designed to assess whether the students have learned the basic definitions of the words.
TEXTS AND QUIZZES: different levels of tests and quizzes. The multiple-choice tests assess both comprehension and application of basic skills. The passage tests have the same format and question design as the Advanced Placement Literature and Language tests.
Reader-Response paragraph writing assignments
Five-Paragraph Formula essay prompt-gives suggestions for the organization of each body paragraph in connection with a given theme
Advanced Placement style essay prompts-designed with the same structure as the Advanced Placement essay prompts on the AP tests.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
• Key Devices: allusions, apotheosis stage, archetype, characterization, clichés, conflict, denotation, diction, double entendre, paradox, parallel structure, personification, metaphor, motif, pun, symbolism, syntax
• Film Terms List
• Vocabulary List
• Instructional Objectives
• Character List
• Film Language and Techniques
• Film Language and Techniques Practice
• Film Language and Techniques Practice Key
VIEWING GUIDE QUESTIONS
• Section One
• Section Two
• Section Three
• Viewing Guide Questions Keys
ACTIVITY GUIDE QUESTIONS
• Activity Guide Questions
• Answer Key
• Brainstorming and Making Connections
• Technology and Artificial Intelligence
• Motifs and Finding Support
• Significance of Names and Titles
• Allegory of the Cave
• Philosophy and Religion
• Focused Activities Answer Keys
VOCABULARY FROM FILM
• Vocabulary Quiz
• Vocabulary Keys
• Film Language and Techniques Quiz (11 multiple-choice questions)
• Plot and Analysis Quiz Multiple Choice (26 questions)
• Passages with Multiple-Choice Questions (Advanced Placement format) (24 questions)
• Analysis with Multiple-Choice Questions (Advanced Placement format) (10 questions)
• Multiple-Choice Tests Answer Keys
• Viewer-Response Essay
• Five-Paragraph Formula Essay: Symbols and Themes
• Five-Paragraph Formula Essay: Character and Themes
• Advanced Placement Essay Style Prompt
• Example Advanced Placement Style Student Essay
• Advanced Placement Essay Evaluation Rubric
Copyright 2012 by Academic Lessons. All rights reserved. Only the student materials in this teaching unit may be reproduced multiple times for use in the purchaser’s classroom.