This is a zip file containing the following:
- The Media Studies Triangle handout with questions for students to use when examining a media text
- A PowerPoint with examples of ads and questions to help get the class started on analyzing using the media studies triangle
- A class activity analyzing Ricky Martin’s Livin’ La Vida Loca music video. (You can find this on YouTube.) I completed some of the analysis and the class is suppose to add to it.
- A homework/class activity examining a Rowenta (vacuum cleaner) advertisement using the media studies triangle.
- The answer key for the media studies examination of that same Rowenta ad.
I try to model the type of analysis I wanted for my class using these samples.
I used this for my grade 11 English Media class. Ricky Martin's video is a bit sexy, but pretty easy to analyze which is why I picked it. It was also a music video shown on television (MuchMusic/MTV) during the afternoon so although it's a bit sexy, it is not something particularly new to students and shouldn't be too scandalous.
Looking for something more advanced? Try the more advanced version of the media studies triangle
! Great for senior/university students!
Check out these other related products:
FIVE CORE CONCEPTS WITH EXAMPLE ANALYSIS
AD DESIGN THEORY: The OGLIVY LAYOUT
INTRO TO AD CAMPAIGNS
INTRO TO TARGET AUDIENCE
BRAND ANALYSIS AND ASSIGNMENT
Or you can save some money and buy the bundle!
Basic Media Literacy Bundle
featuring the Five Core Concepts, Media Studies Triangle, and Target Audience.
MEDIA STUDIES TRIANGLE BUNDLE - BASIC AND ADVANCED VERSIONS