LEVEL: Intermediate to Upper-Intermediate
TIMING: 60 – 90 minutes of instruction
OVERVIEW: This lesson builds better reading skills while teaching students a new method to use their memory for long-term list and item memorization. Under the topic of ‘The Memory Palace’, students learn about Joshua Foer, author and winner of the 2006 United States Memory Championship. While reading about Joshua’s memory challenges and strategies, students will read different summaries to find one main idea; analyse the text in detail by answering true, false and not given questions; think and answer a variety of critical thinking questions; write creatively to finish the text’s ending; and applying the Loci Method of memorization towards remembering a list of items.
OBJECTIVES: Your students will be able to…
• …practice and synthesize new vocabulary using synonyms.
• …test classmates’ memories before and after reading.
• …read five summaries and find the most appropriate main idea.
• …label questions either true, false or not given based on reading.
• …correctly answer critical thinking questions based on reading.
• …learn a new memory strategy and apply it towards a list of items.
• …demonstrate comprehension of reading content by writing an ending to the story in a creative writing assignment.
• vocabulary matching and graphic organizer
• synonym matching and reading exercise
• memory pre-test and pair work
• main idea summary matching
• true, false & not given comprehension questions
• critical thinking reading questions
• creative writing task
• memory post-test and Loci Method application
THE PACKAGE: 11 pages total
• 1 cover page
• 4 student book pages
• 5 teacher book pages
• 1 creative writing page
THE LICENSE: This product is to be used by the original purchaser only. Copying for more than one teacher or classroom, or for an entire department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view, uploaded to school or district websites, distributed via email, or submitted to file sharing sites such as Amazon Inspire. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Intended for single classroom and personal use only.
For Extended licenses please email ESL Lifeline at firstname.lastname@example.org.