A set of worksheets / resources designed to ensure that students have a comprehensive understanding of Act 4 of The Merchant of Venice.
The four resources included are ..
1. Act Summary as Cloze Test Procedure
2. Timeline / Sequencing Activity
3. Quiz - 20 Questions - Multiple Choice Answers
4. Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle
1. Cloze Test. Scene by scene in "Fill in the blanks" format. This is designed to remind students of key plot events. It gives students a good summary of the action. This is useful for weak students who may finding writing their own notes/summary difficult.
2. Sequencing / Timeline activity. This bullet point summary is presented in the incorrect order. The students' job is to re-order correctly. This revises key events, and gets them to remember the order in which events happened. If students struggle with this, I usually get them to write out the solution. This is the most difficult of the four tasks. It works well as a group activity.
3. Multiple Choice Quiz / Assessment. Three page, 20 question test based on Act 4. See also The Merchant of Venice - Act 4 Multiple Choice Quiz
4. Vocabulary crossword. This is a fun method of ensuring that students are familiar with difficult, unusual, or key words from Act 4. This 31 word puzzle is also available as a standalone activity. See The Merchant of Venice - Act 4 Vocabulary Crossword
. This is a good filler activity for use with early finishers or on a day when you have nothing else prepared!
This bundle gives you a wide range of activities which I find useful when teaching mixed ability groups. Alternatively, you could use some of the activities when you have first completed Act 4, and then use others when you need to revise the play.
The solutions to all activities are included.
All of the resources, except the crossword, are Word documents, so editable to suit your class. Download the preview to see extracts from the worksheets.