It is imperative that students be able to use the Metric System comfortably in a science class and understand how to convert measurements within the system.
The PowerPoint slide show introduces students to Metric measurements and shows an easy method of converting within the system.
This download includes:
- A 39-slide PowerPoint show which covers meter, liter, gram, and Celsius; commonly used prefixes and their meaning; how to make conversions using the mnemonic: King Henry Died By Drinking Chocolate Milk.
- Metric Lesson Reference Chart and Pages - 3 pages of reference material for helping students understand approximate volumes, masses, and lengths.
- Set of Bell Ringer questions in two formats: PowerPoint and document; seven metric system review questions for use as a daily reinforcer.
- 'Think Metrics' student 2-page worksheet for students to practice their knowledge of the measurements and how to convert measurements.
- 'Test Your Knowledge of the Metric System' which can be a test or quiz, or a review page; 20 multiple choice questions.
Teaching suggestions are provided along with all answer keys.
This lesson should take 2-3 class periods. An extension involving hands-on measurements is explained in the teaching suggestions which would extend the lesson another day.