This classic Nathaniel Hawthorne short story will give your students deep questions to ponder as they infer the meaning of symbols.
Depending on what you read in class or assign out of class and how many of the activities you do in class or assign out of class, it can take several days to complete this lesson. You can do as many or as few of the worksheets and activities as you want. Some can be assigned as homework.
It is also suitable for a substitute to teach since everything is here for a complete immersion into the story.
This lesson contains:
• All teacher instructions
• Pre-reading vocabulary worksheet
• Pre-reading vocabulary quiz with KEY
• A short paragraph of background information and a journal topic
• Ideas on how to read the story
• Close reading questions with KEY
• A worksheet on inference and symbols with KEY
• Higher order thinking questions concerning synthesizing and evaluating from Bloom’s Taxonomy.
• Objective Quiz with KEY