The Mitten, by Jan Brett, is a student favorite and perfect for teaching sequencing and a variety of other standards like ordinal numbers.
With that in mind, I designed The Mitten Ordinal Number Fun packet, which covers a bit of literacy and math at the same time.
"I loved the creative aspects of these activities and also the math activities."
"Great way to connect our study of Jan Brett's books and a math unit about ordinal numbers."
Such a fun resource! My students loved this!
* An emergent reader booklet: Move Over Please, So I Won't Freeze, which reinforces a variety of Common Core Standards, along with ordinal numbers and verb practice.
* A mitten paper plate pocket "craftivity", which students make to keep all of their mitten-related work in.
* A set of ordinal number pocket chart cards
* A student-made, mitten matching game, where students match the animal character to the animal's name, or the ordinal number position it had in the story, or all three.
Children can do this independently, or pick a partner to play against.
* Ordinal number character assessment strip
* 2 graphing activities
* 2 writing prompts on one worksheet, which can be turned into a class-made book.
* Several mitten worksheets, including one that covers rhyming words, plus more verb-work. (Great for Daily 5 word work activities.) and finally . . .
* A certificate of praise bookmark that can be used to play another game.
Click on the PREVIEW to see samples.
I'm Diane from Teach With Me, hoping your students enjoy practicing ordinal numbers and a bit of literacy with The Mitten.