The Mitten: Book Companion for Pre-K/Kdg. Speech & Language
This is a 87--page download for pre-k/kdg students working on improving receptive and expressive language skills.
Document contents include:
• Pages 4-6: Story Elements: Story Symbols introduces story elements to pre-k students (http://decal.ga.gov/Prek/OffToAGoodStart.aspx). A second Story Symbols version is included, specific to The Mitten.
• Pages 7-11: Comprehension: After reading the book, The Mitten by Jan Brett, have the students answer the comprehension questions. 24 cards.
• Pages 12-17: Sequencing: After reading the book, The Mitten by Jan Brett, have the students sequence the picture cards. 12 cards.
• Pages 18-21: Story Recall: After reading the book, The Mitten by Jan Brett, have students cut out and sort into the appropriate story recall mat.
• Pages 22-31: The Mitten Poem: A whole group activity after reading the book, The Mitten by Jan Brett, is to read The Mitten Poem and highlight certain features (e.g., rhyming words, target animals that crawled in to the mitten).
• Pages 32-41: Attribute I Spy Game: There are six attribute I Spy cards; I Spy Penguin, I Spy Gingerbread Man, I Spy Snowbird, I Spy Snowman, I Spy Fox, I Spy Polar Bear. Print, laminate and provide a mat to each child. The students can draw an X with a dry erase marker on item teacher describes or they can place a marker on item.
• Pages 42-50: Basic Concepts: A whole group activity to teach basic concepts is to teach The Preposition Song. You will need some props (e.g., chair, laundry basket). As the students sing the song, one student follows the instructions in the song. 11 cards. Then, A small group activity: Identify and label the following concepts. 30 cards (spatial/quantitative concepts).
• Pages 51-55: Following Directions: Student will follow 1-, 2-, and/or 3-step simple/complex directions presented verbally/in written form. 32 cards
• Pages 56-58: Retelling Puppets: Attach each character to a tongue depressor. Use the pictures to act out the story. Combine verbs and descriptors to talk about how each animal moves into the mitten. 11 pictures
• Pages 59-70: Verbs: Two whole group activities to teach verbs; “The Verb Chant” and “What is He/She Doing Chant”. As the students chant, one student acts out a verb (present progressive –ing), then, when they stop, reinforce (past tense verb). A small group activity: Regular/irregular past tense verbs 18 cards, present progressive verbs 18 cards. Using verb mat, students will Identify and label verbs. 16 pictures
• Pages 71-76: Emergent Reader: My Mitten is a simple, repetitive, predictable, emergent reader. This is a reproducible black-line master so each student can take his/her own copy home and practice reading. 9 pages
Pages 77-86: The Mitten Poem Interactive Book: This is an interactive book where students find the correct interactive piece and attach it.
This download does not include the book: The Mitten by Jan Brett. Purchase book separately
This document was created using Smarty Symbols. Smarty Symbols is a registered Trademark of Smarty Ears, 2013. All rights reserved to Smarty Ears.