The Mitten by Jan Brett is a popular children's book that tells the story of Nicki, who loses his white mitten in the snow. One by one, the animals climb in until Bear sneezes, which sends them all flying. This literature unit is filled with six different follow-up activities and games to target listening, language and literacy! Following reading, engage your students in activities targeting:
1. Sequencing with Pictures (which is also a great retelling tool!)
2. Comprehension Questions with two (picture) answer choices
3. Nicki's Book Walk- A game to find items in the book matching given attributes and functions
4. Compare and Contrast- Describe how pictured items are the same and different
5. Spatial Concepts- Describe where the mitten is in the given picture
6. Phoneme Manipulation- Make new words by following directions to switch and move sounds.
Not only will your students LOVE this cute story, they'll also have fun with these follow-up activities targeting language, listening and literacy!