The Mitten, by Jan Brett is a Ukrainian folktale, and one of my favorite winter books.
It's perfect for practicing sequencing and a variety of other standards.
With that in mind, I designed The Mitten Literacy Packet, with quick, easy and fun "print & go" activities, games, and even a mitten craft.
- “A fun time was had by all using the well thought out materials which are easy for the children to use. We learned so much!”
- "Wonderful ideas- love everything!"
- "Students loved it."
* A world map worksheet, where children locate the Ukraine as well as their own country and color it.
* A label the cover worksheet, with completed sample.
* Characters, setting and events, pocket chart cards.
* Story elements, plus beginning-Middle-and End parts of the story, worksheets.
* Worksheets for sequencing the animals.
* Several writing prompt worksheets, for summarizing the story and explaining your favorite part.
* Who-What-Why-When-Where-How? worksheet.
* Several games, including a set of Memory Match cards that you can play 3 additional games with.
* 5 Venn diagram worksheets, which are a fun way to practice comparison & contrast.
* A graphing extension.
* 21, pocket chart, fix the sentence cards, which help review the story, as well as practice capitalization and end punctuation.
* There's a matching set of mini cards, to use for several other activities. Child can also pick X number of cards and fix the sentences by rewriting them correctly.
* 9, "We read The Mitten today. Ask me to tell you the story." bookmarks.
* "Mm is for mitten and . . ." beginning letter sound worksheet.
* Rhyme time worksheet, with matching answer-key poster.
* "How Many Words Can You Make?" worksheet with an answer-key poster.
* Keepsake hand print mitten craft, plus . . .
* 3 mitten-themed graphic organizer worksheets.
Whew! That covers a nice variety of stuff doesn't it?
Click on the PREVIEW to see lots of samples.
- "It is a well planned lesson. I started to use it with my ELL students. We are enjoying and learning."
I'm Diane from Teach With Me, hoping your students enjoy practicing literacy with these interesting activities.
Don’t forget that all of my new products are 40% off for 48 hours.
Click this LINK to follow my shop & you'll be notified of these huge savings.