This pack was created to accompany the books The Hat
and The Mitten
, both by Jan Brett. It would be a great addition to a Jan Brett author study. Includes comprehension questions, story maps, writing prompts, and more! All the activities are designed to help students read for understanding, compare, and think critically about the texts.
The following activities are included:
• Story Maps: Students will determine the characters, setting, problem, and solution in each story. This could be completed as a whole group activity, as a literacy center, independently, or as partner work.
• Comprehension Strips: Comprehension strips allow students to practice returning to a text to find key information to answer specific questions. They are a fun alternative to a traditional question and answer worksheet and can be used as an individual or partner literacy center, or as a whole class activity when displayed under a document camera. Twelve comprehension strips for each story and recording sheets are included.
• Venn Diagrams: Students will compare and contrast the two stories using lined Venn Diagrams. The Venn Diagram can also be used for reference when students respond to the writing prompt comparing the two stories.
• Compare and Contrast Response Paper: Students will respond to a writing prompt comparing and contrasting The Hat
and The Mitten
• Noun, Verb, and Adjective Sort: Students will sort story themed words by part of speech. Sorting cards and a recording sheet are provided.
This pack addresses the following Common Core Standards for Grade 1:
*RL.1.1: Ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
*RL.1.3: Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details.
*RL.1.9: Compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in stories.
This pack addresses the following Common Core Standards for Grade 2:
*RL.2.1: Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
*RL.2.7: Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
This pack addresses the following Common Core Standards for Grade 3:
*RL.3.1: Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
*RL.3.9: Compare and contrast the themes, settings, and plots of stories written by the same author about the same or similar characters (e.g., in books from a series).
You may also be interested in Comparing Trouble with Trolls and Christmas Trolls: A Jan Brett Book Study
and Jan Brett Author Study Graphic Organizers and More!
All three products are offered together for a discounted price in my Jan Brett Author Study Bundle
These resources are also included in my Jan Brett Author Study Mega Bundle
See all my book study resources here
If you enjoy this product, please consider following my store. I post new products and freebies regularly! You can contact me with any questions or requests at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*** UPDATED January 2016 ***
Amanda Taylor @ Second Grade Smiles