The Monaco Method for Early Literacy is an integrated literacy program based on Teacher’s Creatures Phonics Puppets. I have been using it since 2004 to teach kindergarteners and first graders how to read, write, and spell with complete success.
My method works because children fall in love with Teacher’s Creatures. I’ve had students who were disappointed about going on vacation, and students who would tell their mom to drive faster on the way to school, because they didn’t want to miss meeting a puppet. Children feel a connection with Teacher’s Creatures, which makes the puppets’ stories, sounds, and body motions easy to remember. With this information in their minds, students can easily recall letter sounds as they learn to read.
My program is simple and logical, making implementation fun and easy. I have designed it in a way that makes the most sense for teaching reading, handwriting, and spelling effectively. The Monaco Method was designed for kindergarten, but portions are appropriate for pre-K and first grade. The Monaco Method builds a solid foundation for any language arts program in public school, private school, homeschool, or special education.
The Monaco Method includes:
1. Teacher's Creatures Phonics Puppets A-Z (Teacher Set with Stories and Motions)
2. Teacher's Creatures Phonics Puppets A-Z (Student Set to Color and Take Home)
3. Teacher's Creatures Beginning Language Arts Workbook (127 pages)
4. Teacher's Creatures Beginning Handwriting Workbook (63 pages)
5. Teacher's Creatures Short Vowel Neighborhoods (Short Vowel Word Family Houses)
6. Teacher's Creatures Chunk Puppets (Teacher Set with Stories and Motions)
7. Teacher’s Creatures Chunk Puppets (Student Set to Color and Take Home)
8. The Teacher's Creatures Chunk Neighborhood (Word Family Houses for Chunk Sounds)
9. Teachers Creatures Long Vowel Puppets (Teacher Set with Stories and Motions)
10. Teacher's Creatures Long Vowel Puppets (Student Set to Color and Take Home)
11. Teacher's Creatures Long Vowel Neighborhoods (Long Vowel Word Family Houses)
12. Large ABC cards with instructional dots and arrow for handwriting
13. Send home handwriting instructions
This teacher's guide describes all components of The Monaco Method in detail and outlines lesson plans for the school year and ideas for implementation. If you have purchased any of the items listed above, or plan to, I recommend purchasing the teacher's guide.
All 13 items listed above can be purchased individually or as a complete package (see "The Monaco Method for Early Literacy- A Reading, Handwriting, and Spelling Program for Kindergarten and K/1") for an overall savings of $41.