Also included in
- This is a bundle of two text levels of The Monkey's Paw, plus activities and lessons - they assign straight to Google Classroom (with no prep!) via TPT Digital.The two levels cover Beginner to Advanced ESL students and ELA classes. Perfect for differentiated or tiered instruction! The package also c$6.49$11.46Save $4.97
- Make your year a little easier, and give your ELL students high quality, high interest, fun materials! If you covered everything in this pack it would probably take around 70 school days. That's a lot of material for your school year -- nearly 4 months!Many of these 30+ resources work with multiple$49.99$99.80Save $49.81
An adapted text version of the Halloween classic story to assign on TPT Digital, through Google Classroom.
Have you ever wanted to read "The Monkey's Paw" with your class but knew your students would be put off by the language? Then this is perfect for you!
The chilling classic is adapted to make it accessible to less advanced readers, special education classrooms and intermediate ESL and EFL students. It also makes a fine story for the regular ELA classroom.
Tackle vocabulary and ELA critical thinking -- including inferencing, irony and literary elements -- with the story and activities!
This two-part story is part of a collection of high-interest material specifically designed by an experienced ESL/ELA teacher for ENL, ESL, ELL students. It is short enough for intermediate English Language learners (spanning 13 core pages of text, graphics and questions), yet contains meaningful content and engaging activities that are sure to provoke discussion. ELA concepts are embedded throughout the text. additional lesson plan suggestions are included.
The 13-sided handout can be copied for your class or assigned straight to Google Classroom via TPT Digital. The images can be displayed on a screen, if you have one.
- One two-part story with artwork. The language of the story has been simplified, but it follows the original story exactly. You could spend anywhere from a single period to a week on the story.
- Activities including vocabulary and writing. (Note the vocabulary is aimed mainly at English Language Learners.)
- Ideas for teachers — what to do before reading, during reading and after reading.
- Extension project ideas.
- Answer key.
This text is also available with numerous graphic organizers and lesson plans. In addition you can pick up a bundle of this text, with a lower-level version, perfect for tiered instruction.
More great materials for your ELLs:
Be sure to check out my Halloween products for nonfiction, an original short story, plus the classic "The Monkey's Paw". They are all for beginner ESL students, and there is a great value bundle containing the whole lot of them. If you're looking for fun activities, nonfiction, a short story for Christmas ("The Little Match Girl") and the New Year, take a look at my Christmas and New Year materials. I also have a series of short stories that will engage your students at any time, while teaching grammar and vocab. Enjoy browsing, and have fun teaching!
ELA = Fiction, Conflict, Questioning, Setting, Details, Inferencing, Character, Irony.
Grades = 6+
English as a New Language Level = Intermediate +
Estimated length = Five hours, plus (depending on how many of the additional exercises you use, such as the setting or character handouts.)
Answer key included
File Type = PDF