Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
4.58 MB | 52 pages
The chief focus of this unit is mood and cause & effect chain of events. These activities work well with ESL students.
"The Monkey's Paw" unit begins with schema-building activities including
* vocabulary with concept map 4-squares and personal connections
* BrainPop video: "Mood & Tone"
* Paired Response card activity on cause and effect
* informational text on Fakir Magic [strategy: ReQuest (reciprocal questioning)] & video clips on Fakir rope and bed of nails tricks
* PowerPoint on talismans, totems, amulets, and auras
After reading and watching Jacobs's short story, students apply the schema in the following activities:
* Cornell notes on story elements in "The Monkey's Paw"
* evidence-sorting activity requiring students to evaluate the use of cause and effect in the story
* KAGAN consensus reflection activity
* collaborative task requiring students to evaluate the use of setting, imagery, and mood