This file includes a lesson plan, quiz, mentor sentence activity, theme analysis questions, a graphic organizer, and a writing activity for "The Monkey's Paw" by W. W. Jacobs.
Included in this file:
→ The quiz is basic. I use it for comprehension only.
→ The analysis activity has sentences from the story and asks students to explain how they contribute to the story's theme.
→ Mentor sentences - using quotes from the story, students will identify parts of speech in context.
→ 5 topics for students to change from broad ideas into specific ideas. Students will then write a topic sentence for each idea as it relates to the story. An extension activity is for students to write a paragraph using one of their topic sentences.
→ A graphic organizer for students to track the three wishes and their consequences.
→ Seven vocabulary words taught in context. A vocabulary quiz and key is included.
The lesson plan has possible discussion questions and literary devices found in "The Monkey's Paw." Answer key included.
These activities and lesson plans for "The Monkey's Paw" are both in editable and not-editable formats.
• Marigolds by Eugenia W. Collier: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Writing
• Poison by Roald Dahl: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Colomber by Dino Buzzati Quiz, Activities, Mentor Sentences
• The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Lady or the Tiger by Frank Stockton: Pre-Reading, Quiz, Mentor Sentence
• The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant Quiz and Activities
• The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst: Quiz, Interactive Notebook, and Activities
• Why I Live at the P.O. by Eudora Welty Quiz and Activities
• Wine on the Desert by Max Brand: Vocabulary, Pre-Reading, and Quiz