Use this 40 page PRINT and TEACH unit as a companion piece to teaching The Monsters are due on Maple Street by Rod Serling. I've taught this short two act play in both English Language Arts and AVID!
The students love the mystery and suspense and it makes for a great read aloud play to practice reading and public speaking. This play can be found in the HOLT book or online. If possible, make copies to separate Act 1 and Act 2 so students wouldn't read ahead!
This product includes the following:
TEACHER ANNOTATION NOTES
• 4 pages of teacher annotation notes for Act 1.
• Tells the class what to highlight, has built-in class discussion questions, and teaches key concepts such as foreshadowing, stage directions, characterization, and making predictions.
• 3 pages of teacher annotation notes for Act 2.
• 7 question anticipation guide for students to begin thinking about main topics in the story and write their own short responses to the questions.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
• Brief introduction page all about Rod Serling to be used as pre-reading
• Character cards divided by Act One and Act Two with all the characters' names on them.
•This is a great play to read for ELA, theatre, speech, or AVID!
•Print the cards out and laminate them and give it to each student as they read a part.
• I found this to be very helpful and students did not forget which part they were!
ACT 1 EXIT TICKET
• After reading Act 1, use this 3 question exit ticket as a mini check to make sure students are understanding the play.
• This comes in an editable word document if you'd like to tweak it or add more questions and make it a short quiz!
12 QUESTION TEST
• 12 question multiple choice test
• ANSWER KEY INCLUDED
• Comes in an editable word document if you'd like to tweak it or add more questions!
RE-WRITE THE ENDING
• Creative writing assignment in which students re-write the ending of the play. I had them come up to the front of the class and share and had many volunteers to share their funny, creative stories.
• 4 Project examples that include 2 writing-based and 2 crafty-based project options.
• I have also included 13 real student-examples
that you can share with your class or simply get ideas from!
• My students LOVED having the option to pick and I made this a test grade because it does show me their comprehension of the story.
• A rubric is also attached to the product.
• This comes in an editable word document so you have the freedom to tweak it as you please!
COSTA'S LEVELS OF QUESTIONING
• Costa's Levels are huge in AVID and this product includes 14 questions that ask students to read the question and identify which Costa's level it belongs to.
• Vocabulary builder for Act 1
• Vocabulary builder for Act 2
• ANSWER KEYS INCLUDED
• Venn Diagram
• Page with prompts to use for the organizers
• Track characterization for the 5 main characters of the story- Charlie, Steve, Les, Tommy and Don.
CROSSWORD PUZZLE REVIEW
• Give this crossword puzzle to your students as a fun review before the test!
• ANSWER KEY INCLUDED!
4 PANEL COMIC STRIP
• Have students practice summarization by creating a 4 box comic strip with summary boxes underneath it.
OVER 40 PAGES OF ACTIVITIES TO GIVE YOU OPTIONS!!!
This unit will cover core content standards such as:
comprehension, summarization, making predictions, characterization, vocabulary building, inquiry, reflection, using graphic organizers, brainstorming, mechanics, etc. for writing prompts.
This unit is designed to be PRINT and TEACH!! I hope you have as much teaching it as I had creating it!
**** Additional AVID Products that You Might Love ****
• AVID MEGA BUNDLE!! Costa’s Cards, Learning Logs, Public Speaking Games, College Pennant Project, GPA Sheets, Community Service Trackers and more!
• Vision Boards- Creative Goal-Setting for the New Year- *TPT Top Seller*
• Costa’s Levels of Questioning-Posters and Task Cards *TPT Top Seller*
• Public Speaking Games to overcome Stage Fright!
• College themed BINGO with words like Tuition, Scholarships, GPA, etc.
• CollegeWeek Vocabulary Books
• College Icebreaker Discussion Cards
• College Research Fact Sheet and Design a College Pennant Project
• One page College Research Sheet
• Honor Roll Grades Tracker
• Teaching Study Skills to AVID Students
• Managing Stress and Anxiety Handout
• Binder Organization Template
• AVID Recruiting Cover Page-EDITABLE
• Fun Fridays-Team Trivia
• AVID themed BINGO, words like TRF, 3 Ring Binder, Cornell Notes, etc.
• AVID Team-Building, Fun Friday Trivia Game-100 Cards
• AVID Icebreakers- Would You Rather Questions
• Community Service Tracker- Option 1
• Community Service Tracker- Option 2
• AVID SuperPower Recruiting Posters
• AVID Learning Logs-EDITABLE FILE
• Writing BioPoems
• The Monsters are due on Maple Street- Complete 40 page Unit and Supplemental Activities-GREAT Play for AVID
Thank you for downloading!
****Don't forget to leave feedback and a rating on purchased items to receive TpT credits towards future purchases. That's like FREE MONEY!!!
Click Here to Follow My Store!