This chilling, classic short story filled with suspense will prove to be a page-turner for your students. This lesson will take two to three class periods to complete if you do all the activities. There are ten activities of which you can do as many or as few as you choose to do. The activities are designed to support different learning styles. Several graphic organizers are included as well. Some activities can be assigned as homework. This plan is good to have on hand for a substitute.
This lesson contains:
• Complete instructions for the teacher
• Pre-reading vocabulary worksheet
• A quiz that includes a word search with KEY
• A short paragraph of background information and a journal topic or thought question
• Close reading questions with KEY
• Thought questions
• A graphic organizer with literary terms: metaphor, simile, and symbol and KEY
• A partially blank outline of the plot of the story and KEY
• Graphic organizer of the plot and KEY
• Higher order thinking questions concerning synthesizing and evaluating from which students will write two paragraphs
• An Objective Quiz with KEY
Enjoy this story and the lesson!