NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used before students read the book. Also, since most answers consist of one word, students benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
This crossword contains 50 challenging words from MATILDA. Either as a homework assignment or as an opportunity for students to work in pairs with a thesaurus in class, it's a great way to prepare students for reading the book and, thus, understanding the story. Note that the parts of speech are included to aid students in finding the exact answer.
Examples of clues:
* Ordinary: Not ___ (adj.) ANSWER: special
* Dissolved (v.) ANSWER: melted
* Gushy: Overly ___ (adj.) ANSWER: sweet
* Inspiration (n.) ANSWER: idea
* Reminisced (v.) ANSWER: remembered
* Quaint (adj.) ANSWER: cute
* Descend: To go ___ (v.) ANSWER: down
FYI: This puzzle includes the 25 Words to Know from THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS, which students can refer to for definitions as they read the story as well as a list of main characters, author information, and more. See list below.
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE synonym/antonym crossword over the same 25 words. A great way to test students’ understanding of synonyms and antonyms! Clues include the sentences from the book! See list below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are more unique products over THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE—perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them in my store.
* Bookmarks Plus: THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE—A Handy Reading Aid!
Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE: 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Familiarize students with new words before they read the book!
Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the The Mouse and the Motorcycle edition of Bookmarks Plus and the The Mouse and the Motorcycle Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
* THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Fun!
Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
* THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE: Chapter Title Cryptograms—Challenges students’ reading-for-detail skills!
Students decode the 13 chapter titles from the story, with each cryptogram puzzle having its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!