NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book. Also, because the answers to most of the clues consist of one word, students will benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence in which it appears in the book. Students must decide provide either a synonym or an antonym for the challenging word.
Examples of clues:
* The maid turned ABRUPTLY from the mirror. (ant.) ANSWER: slowly
* ...He watched the hungry machine DEVOUR dust and lint that lay in its path. (syn.) ANSWER: eat
* “No, I didn’t MISLAY it,” insisted the boy. “I put it right here on the table beside my sports car. (ant.) ANSWER: find
* But when Ralph reached the mousehole he found PANDEMONIUM. (Noisy ___; syn.) ANSWER: confusion
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE edition of Bookmarks Plus. Please see the list of products below.
Also, the same 25 words are part of my THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE 50-word Prereading Crossword, which familiarizes students with new words before they read the book. Please see the list of products below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE—perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them in my store.
* Bookmarks Plus: THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE—A Handy Reading Aid!
Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE: 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Familiarize students with new words before they read the book!
Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the The Mouse and the Motorcycle edition of Bookmarks Plus and the The Mouse and the Motorcycle Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
* THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Fun!
Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
* THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE: Chapter Title Cryptograms—Challenges students’ reading-for-detail skills!
Students decode the 13 chapter titles from the story, with each cryptogram puzzle having its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!